<  Vardcore  ~  JANARCHY!

Forum rules
This is where I will rant, tell stories, and talk about bands and records in the works. (Hey, wake up! And take a shower!)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:21 pm
ToastJoined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:50 amPosts: 29Location: Indiana
My two cents:

Do The Bomb as an 11". I'm a fan of crazy sized records, and the 11" isn't seen all that often, so why not?

Do the 2xLP for SBB. I'll buy that shite instantly!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:45 pm
Buttered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJJoined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:08 pmPosts: 183
yeah go for the 2xlp and make it like 4 colors swirled or something, haven't seen that yet

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:32 pm
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJ and a Coffee, an Espresso, and a Bagel with HummusJoined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:23 pmPosts: 799Location: Chicago
the Bomb = 11" is my vote.

http://www.tinyurl.com/ucronfacebook
http://undercomm.storenvy.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:38 pm
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJJoined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:14 pmPosts: 170Location: st. louis, mo
dynamitekid wrote:
Do what makes you feel best

This. Do what you think fits each release.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:03 pm
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJJoined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:56 amPosts: 240Location: new jersey
Do a 13" record.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:29 pm
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJ and a Coffee, an Espresso, and a Bagel with HummusJoined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:10 pmPosts: 1934Location: Gainesvile, Florida
mclz wrote:
Do a 13" record.

I wanted to for the PANTHRO LP years ago, but thought better of it. I will get to doing one before long. It will be a total pain in the ass to ship though. Think about it.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:40 pm
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJJoined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:28 amPosts: 153
you know i bought the Leatherface 2 lp and it sounds great and i love it, but i'm lazy and don't like flipping records, so i dont pull the weenil out all that much

so for the SBB i'd say do the 2 lp to make the audio nerds happy, but me personally i'll probably just go with a single lp

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:53 pm
Buttered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJ and a CoffeeJoined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:55 amPosts: 251
i´m a big fan of the "low 1st press runs on color and then black wax for forever" kinda thing....like way back in time when having a colored record actually meant somethin....mainly it´s the RARE version..... :shock:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:00 pm
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJJoined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:28 amPosts: 153
black weenil makes me a little sad

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:06 pm
Buttered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJJoined: Thu May 21, 2009 3:51 pmPosts: 137Location: michigan
if i want the music, i will purchase it. no idea has always been awesome for special editions, so i say go crazy.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:13 pm
BreadJoined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:41 pmPosts: 7
make it as wacky as you want. Its your label.
I have just about as big of a disgust with the colored weenil trend as anyone else. Its gone beyond ridiculous. But with you guys its not a money making idea. You have been doing that for years (going on DECADES at this point!). Its not about making a quick buck. So screw it. If it gets kids to pony up for 15 different versions of a record and helps you to put out some more great releases and keep your prices low etc. I say go for it and make it as crazy as you want.
Maybe even mark the super limited versions up a couple bucks (charge 15 dollars for the super crazy limited to 15 version, and 10 bucks for the regular stuff).

Im also a fan of sending out super limited stuff randomly. Like to stores (hint hint). But stores that you can trust will sell the record as is, or not care about the color (not stores that will hoard it and sell it on ebay for a high price). It adds to the "hunt". If you sent some limited to 3 copy color/version to some store in Idaho think how stoked the kid who randomly went shopping would be to find that. Or better yet, he wouldnt care about the color, and it would randomly get sold/traded, or even kept in a collection and listened to and never used for "ebay gold". It would add to the mystique because no one would know where some of the colors/versions are, and some would never be tracked down creating true white whales. This also helps reward actual store customers, or random kids who quietly love and support your label all over the country/world, as opposed to just a select few who sit online all day long refreshing a screen waiting for a pre-order to go up that they dont care about, but they know is "rare" so of course they gotta have it.

Normally id have a rant about keeping it simple, but No Idea is one of the few labels that does it right. and has consistently done it right for years. so regardless of what you guys choose to do with the pressing, im sure it will done well, affordable, and for the right reasons!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:23 pm
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJJoined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:21 amPosts: 125Location: tallahassee, floriduh
vardcore wrote:
mclz wrote:
Do a 13" record.

I wanted to for the PANTHRO LP years ago, but thought better of it. I will get to doing one before long. It will be a total pain in the ass to ship though. Think about it.

Probably also would have kept PUKU13's great record from making a cameo in "High Fidelity" too :oneeyedmonster:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:14 pm
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJJoined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:07 pmPosts: 168Location: Lowell, MA
If anything, as far as special weenil, I'd like to see more 180-gram weenil (especially clear or translucent colors that are 180g). And also split colors that go with the artwork... I'm a sucker for that shite. I have a 7" that's half opaque orange / half translucent orange and it looks killer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:01 pm
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJ and a Coffee, an Espresso, and a Bagel with HummusJoined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:10 pmPosts: 1934Location: Gainesvile, Florida
bathroommonkey wrote:
you know i bought the Leatherface 2 lp and it sounds great and i love it, but i'm lazy and don't like flipping records, so i dont pull the weenil out all that much

so for the SBB i'd say do the 2 lp to make the audio nerds happy, but me personally i'll probably just go with a single lp

You do know that w pressed LF as a 1xLP as well, right... haha!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:12 pm
vardcore wrote:
bathroommonkey wrote:

You do know that w pressed LF as a 1xLP as well, right... haha!

maybe i need to just be less lazy 8x

i did know. i listen to it on my ipod all the time, it's strictly the weenil that gets neglected.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:28 am
BreadJoined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:22 pmPosts: 19Location: Chicago
My permanent standpoint is crazy shite all the time, please. 2XLP 45RPM, 11" record, 13" record.

I haven't done the research, but I think I read Jack White made a 13" and called it "Texas-sized." Since I think he's from Detroit maybe there's some knowing humor going on there. 13.2" could be "FL-sized," anyway. That'll show em.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:42 am
Rojo wrote:
My permanent standpoint is crazy shite all the time, please. 2XLP 45RPM, 11" record, 13" record.

I haven't done the research, but I think I read Jack White made a 13" and called it "Texas-sized." Since I think he's from Detroit maybe there's some knowing humor going on there. 13.2" could be "FL-sized," anyway. That'll show em.

He lives in Nashville. They made a series of "texas sized" records for the last SxSW. They took a bunch of 7" and pressed 8", 12" and made 13". Here's where I call it, though: they did not re-cut the records... they used existing plates... so... there is just a bit of blank weenil on the outside. That said, they also pressed at least one "true" 8" that had music all the way out.

:Sally: :Sally: :Sally: :Sally: :Sally: :Sally: :Sally: :Sally: :Sally: :Sally: :Sally: :Sally: :Sally:
:jonmarburger: :jonmarburger: :jonmarburger: :jonmarburger: :jonmarburger: :jonmarburger: :jonmarburger: :jonmarburger: :jonmarburger: :jonmarburger:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:44 am
Some day, with the right band, I will press a 13" record. Probably a mailorder / shows only thing.
:tunes: :tunes: :tunes: :tunes: :tunes: :tunes: :tunes: :tunes: :tunes: :tunes:
:ihaveaboner: :ihaveaboner: :ihaveaboner: :ihaveaboner: :ihaveaboner: :ihaveaboner: :ihaveaboner: :ihaveaboner: :ihaveaboner: :ihaveaboner:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:37 am
SOME BANDS THAT ARE RECORDING or TALKING ABOUT RECORDING in 2011:

CHRIS WOLLARD & THE SHIP THIEVES
-- In the studio now (off and on) and getting close to hammering down a batch of vittles. The band is so solid now... and Mr. Brown has officially moved to town so... watch out!

GRABASS CHARLESTONS
-- I see Will at shows periodically and his enthusiasm for the concept of crafting an album in every sense is quite magnetic. I anticipate what the future holds.

BRIDGE AND TUNNEL
-- What could be better than that?

THE TIM VERSION
-- I called up Shawn on a whim and he confirms that they are working on songs and intend to purchase, then sell back, the minds of punks and adults worldwide. Or at least any in proximity.

THE HOLY MOUNTAIN
-- Tyler moved back to the USA. Songs are starting to manifest. No shows until THE FEST 10 is the word I hear... with the goal of destroying all, thereupon. Ten months of fine honing the leads and half an hour to soak it all in. Sounds great! From a Jan. 20 communique: "Heard the first new song last night. Sounds like spaghetti and motorcycles. Excited."

I WILL ADD MORE AS TIME, MEMORY, AND COFFEE PERMITS.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:15 pm
Buttered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJJoined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:08 pmPosts: 183
good news

Offline Profile