<  I'm a Nerd  ~  I bought my first Test Press last week.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:15 pm
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJ and a Coffee, an Espresso, and a Bagel with HummusJoined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:57 amPosts: 556Location: Gainesville, FL
Cheap Girls/Failure's Union split 7" out of 40. Only costs $4. Hand screened sleeve.

They said there was some weird mix up at the plant, and they lost the orginal test pressings and couldn't get the regular pressings in time, so they just gave them a bunch of test pressings.

Unless Cheap Girls gets huge and popular, like I think they deserve, this may be one of the least valuable test pressings ever.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:15 pm
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJ and a Coffee, an Espresso, and a Bagel with HummusJoined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:30 pmPosts: 566Location: Nature Coast & Gville, FL
Philip wrote:
this may be one of the least valuable test pressings ever.

Don't count on it. i totally have funny 70s-80s test pressings like Steve Perry and Fleetwood Mac.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:43 pm
Buttered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJJoined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:34 pmPosts: 103
that Jammy split for the fest is probably not the most valuable test either.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:32 am
Buttered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJ and a CoffeeJoined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:36 amPosts: 292
woo I got this one too.
Cheap Girls is awesome

only other Test Press I have is the Sakes Alive "Act I" release

Last edited by Jeremy on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:46 pm
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJ and a Coffee, an Espresso, and a Bagel with HummusJoined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:30 pmPosts: 566Location: Nature Coast & Gville, FL
Are promo copies worth a crap. I mean do people collect them? I've got a lot of these.

You know, the ones that say "Promotional Copy Not For Sale" on them?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:16 pm
User avatarSite AdminJoined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:22 pmPosts: 142Location: Gainesville, FL
Test Pressings and Promos are different.

Test Pressings are what the record pressing plant sends us so we can make sure the plates they made sound okay, the correct music is on there, etc. They are usually always black v1nyl with blank white labels. For some reason, these are very collectible and can go for a lot of money at times. I guess because there are very few made.

Promos are the finished product (we only promo CDs) with some kind of promo indicator on it. Like "Promo" written on the from or a hole or piece cut out of the side. These are sent out to radio stations and magazines so reviews and airplay can be timed with the albums release. The reason for the indicator is to prevent stores from buying them from unscrupulous radio.magazine people.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:22 pm
Yeah I know they are different, I just wanted to know if people collect the promos in weenil form? For some reason they were really easy to come by in the 80s/90s in record stores.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:47 pm
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJ and a Coffee, an Espresso, and a Bagel with HummusJoined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:57 amPosts: 556Location: Gainesville, FL
RanchDip wrote:
Yeah I know they are different, I just wanted to know if people collect the promos in weenil form? For some reason they were really easy to come by in the 80s/90s in record stores.

if it's got the regular cover art, and just a sticker on it that says "promo" or the corner cut off, no, not vaulable.

but if it's got a diffeent sleeve, like all white with just a plain text info, or comes with a press kit, then it MIGHT be valuable if it is a really famous band, or one with diehard fans. I think I've got a They Might Be Giants promotional signle somewhere around here, might be worth $5.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:03 pm
Buttered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJJoined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:34 pmPosts: 103
i have the Crucible test from No Idea, it's not worth shite i'm sure.

and Act II is out? i thought just Act I was.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:49 pm
Buttered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJ and a CoffeeJoined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:36 amPosts: 292
andrew13 wrote:

my bad yeah I meant Act I, I forgot their first cd was just called "Presents"

album art for Act II looks awesome though, can't wait for that

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:33 pm
Buttered ToastJoined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:35 amPosts: 72Location: The Netherlands
I have 2 Descendents promo 7" those are pretty icebox. Made for radio stations I believe. And I have a promo copy of Jawbreaker – 24 Hour Revenge Therapy LP. Would that be worth something?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:56 pm
Machiel wrote:
I have 2 Descendents promo 7" those are pretty icebox. Made for radio stations I believe. And I have a promo copy of Jawbreaker – 24 Hour Revenge Therapy LP. Would that be worth something?

Now see, those have GOT to be worth something. Agreed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:19 pm
Jeremy wrote:
andrew13 wrote:

i love Act I, do you have mp3's of the cd you could send me? i may be doing a show with them next month along with Let Me Run again. i can't wait for Act II to be out. great band.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:44 pm
andrew13 wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
andrew13 wrote:

i love Act I, do you have mp3's of the cd you could send me? i may be doing a show with them next month along with Let Me Run again. i can't wait for Act II to be out. great band.

yeah you can get all their stuff here - http://sakesalive.bandcamp.com/album/presents

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:44 pm
sweet thanks a lot. i just checked their myspace, i guess Act II is having all kinds of problems. hopefully it doesn't come out sounding like shite.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:01 am
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJJoined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:28 amPosts: 166
Do average collectors count compilation appearances as part of a bands discography? Or is that for only the most anal of completists?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:15 pm
BreadJoined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:25 pmPosts: 18
Congrats dude ! My first test press was lifetime S/T 8x Repress. WOOT! I was so excited its not even funny.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:09 pm
User avatarButtered Toast with JamJoined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:50 pmPosts: 91Location: Boston, MA
first was a contest prize for LTJ
second was out of 68 lol

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:57 am
My 1st TP was Falling Sickness / Dysentery Sub-city split 10" - excellent record

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:39 pm
just won a Ghost Mice / Saw Wheel split on ebay for like $23. 8x ;) 8-)

Offline Profile