<  I'm a Nerd  ~  How much money per month do you spend on records?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:24 am
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJJoined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:28 amPosts: 166
Just wondering how much everyone spends on records on an average month.. Judging by the size and OCD-ness of some of the collections on display here, I'm guessing it's a lot. How do you all afford it? With the multiple colours and stuff, do you just buy them as and when you can get hold of them, or do you email the label and ask for one of each colour and buy however many of the same thing up front? I'm fascinated by how these collections happen.

Oh, and I'd say I spend about £50-60 quid, roughly per month. There's usually something coming in the mail for me.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:25 am
User avatarButtered Toast with JamJoined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:50 pmPosts: 91Location: Boston, MA
completely depends on release schedules and which labels are doing it for me...

this past month i didn't want to spend any money on records AT ALL...

then fat wreck announced the presale of both the new strung out and nofx records. if you don't order it right away...then you can never get the color version of the record without dropping 30+ bucks...

then no idea went and posted that blacktop cadence for sale so then another 30 dollar order got constructed...

what can you do...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:21 am
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJJoined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:14 pmPosts: 170Location: st. louis, mo
vittywatt wrote:
completely depends on release schedules and which labels are doing it for me...

this past month i didn't want to spend any money on records AT ALL...

then fat wreck announced the presale of both the new strung out and nofx records. if you don't order it right away...then you can never get the color version of the record without dropping 30+ bucks...

then no idea went and posted that blacktop cadence for sale so then another 30 dollar order got constructed...

what can you do...

This.

December, January and Feb, my spending total was off the charts. Now that we are working on 5 new releases and already budgeting and saving for our Fest 8 sponsorship/trip the spending is way down. I also pre-ordered the new Strung Out and NOFX!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:26 pm
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJ and a Coffee, an Espresso, and a Bagel with HummusJoined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:23 pmPosts: 799Location: Chicago
I spend 20-30 dollars a month on records.

I don't collect variants & I don't care what color the record is on, if I get a ciolor copy, neat-o, if not, I really don't care.

but I like to follow family trees of bands I like...

plus I'm cheap...

...so I'll wait until people start dumping their collections and get things for cheap.

http://www.tinyurl.com/ucronfacebook
http://undercomm.storenvy.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:56 pm
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJ and a CoffeeJoined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:39 pmPosts: 458Location: The Golden State
Usually around $100 a month probably. Again, depends on wtf is going on with labels really. Sometimes I order things through spontaneous bouts of irrationality and sometimes I stop and say I can't afford it.

I try to do like Justing and just grab a copy of a record to have one. Usually don't care about the color it's on and usually don't collect variants. That said, I'll drop whatever it takes to get some of the D4 records and variants I don't have. It might be the only band I'd do that for though.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:29 pm
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJ and a Coffee, an Espresso, and a Bagel with HummusJoined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:57 amPosts: 556Location: Gainesville, FL
Justin Communique wrote:
I don't collect variants & I don't care what color the record is on, if I get a ciolor copy, neat-o, if not, I really don't care.

same here. Though I guess I'm glad some people go nuts with the collecting, it just might be keeping my favorite labels afloat.

I probably spend between $10 - $25 a month on records + CDs.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:40 pm
Buttered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJ and a CoffeeJoined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:36 amPosts: 292
Philip wrote:
Justin Communique wrote:

same here. Though I guess I'm glad some people go nuts with the collecting, it just might be keeping my favorite labels afloat.

that would actually be an interesting study to see, how much of a profit increase that labels and bands get due to people buying all the variants of it

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:56 pm
ToastJoined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:24 pmPosts: 39Location: Gainesville, FL
I haven't quite gotten to that level yet. The only bands I own everything by are Small Brown Bike and Latterman. I'm one away from having all the Lawrence Arms records. But collecting is turning into an addiction quickly. If I had more expendable cash it'd be a problem.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:21 am
Buttered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJJoined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:34 pmPosts: 103
anywhere from 0-200, usually around $50 or so i'd say. depends how much fat and red scare stuff goes up for order, plus about 7 other bands. 8x

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:25 am
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJJoined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:28 amPosts: 166
Jeremy wrote:
Philip wrote:
Justin Communique wrote:

that would actually be an interesting study to see, how much of a profit increase that labels and bands get due to people buying all the variants of it

Yeah, and I guess while they're keeping money coming in, the label isn't expanding it's 'fanbase' so to speak cuz instead of selling 500 7"s to 500 people, they're selling them to about 350. maybe?

I was going to add that a lot of the time the reason I spend as much as I do each month is on stupid postage to the U.K. For you stateside guys I guess it's not really an issue but sometimes buying one LP can cost up to 1 1/2 times the price again to get it mailed. major bummerrrr..

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:06 am
Haha, well actually I've been buying stuff off you already dude, your shop is excellent 8-)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:35 am
Buttered ToastJoined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:33 amPosts: 65
Before I was married with kids, I would say $300 a month, easy.

I went through a stretch when we had our first child where it dropped to maybe $200 a YEAR.

Now, it is probably averages out to $100 a month or so. I still make some stupid impulse buys, like when "Til the wheels fall off" came out I ordered 4 copies, when I have never collected variants before, but overall I mainly order new releases that grab my eye.

Last year it was a little higher, since I bought two expensive records. (At least for me) They were Texas is the Reasons full length on white and an Allied Records test press of HWM "Alachua".

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:04 am
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJ and a Coffee, an Espresso, and a Bagel with HummusJoined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:23 pmPosts: 799Location: Chicago
Jeremy wrote:
Philip wrote:
Justin Communique wrote:

for my label, it isn't a dramatic jump, but it has helped out in the last year or so since I started doing 2 color pressings. Any single sale helps small labels.

http://www.tinyurl.com/ucronfacebook
http://undercomm.storenvy.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:07 pm
Buttered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJJoined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:47 pmPosts: 229Location: Gainesville, FL
I just pre-ordered the new Bellini record for $15. So that makes $15 for this year so far.

Jon

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:47 am
User avatarButtered Toast with Jam and a Glass of OJJoined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:27 amPosts: 197Location: Cardiff, UK
Al Jerk Store wrote:
I'd say I spend about £50-60 quid, roughly per month. There's usually something coming in the mail for me.

And none of it in Damaged. Welly could really do with the help at the moment too, the shop didn't even make rent last week.

"Support your local mom and pop store!"

:o

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:54 pm
User avatarButtered ToastJoined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:30 pmPosts: 71
Dave Newest Industry wrote:
Al Jerk Store wrote:
I'd say I spend about £50-60 quid, roughly per month. There's usually something coming in the mail for me.

And none of it in Damaged. Welly could really do with the help at the moment too, the shop didn't even make rent last week.

"Support your local mom and pop store!"

:o

This Saturday in the States is Record Store Day where everyone should go visit a physical record store...not sure why...but it sounds icebox. I mean I get the idea, but I hate a crowd at a shop... :oneeyedmonster:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:35 am
Buttered Toast with JamJoined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:15 pmPosts: 96Location: Oz
I seem to buy about 3 or 4 7"s a month at the moment, kinda broke but 7"s are nice and affordable and scratch the record-buying itch efficiently. Plus as I have to order from the US pretty much 100% of the time because I can rarely find what I want in record stores here (Kiss Of Death stuff etc) the postage is a killer.. so I tend to just order a few 7"s to get more 'stuff' for the money I spent on getting it sent here. If I see something in my local record store that I want I get it there but don't usually find what I'm after so interwebs be the answer most of the time.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:29 am
Buttered ToastJoined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:35 amPosts: 72Location: The Netherlands
I'm not sure how much I spend on records each month. Depends on what I can buy and how much money I have but I think an average of $250 maybe? Shipping included because that is in most cases more expensive then the record itself.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:59 am
Buttered Toast with JamJoined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:15 pmPosts: 96Location: Oz
Machiel wrote:
Shipping included because that is in most cases more expensive then the record itself.

Agreed. Even more annoying when the thing arrives and the sticker on it shows that it didn't even cost them that much to post it anyway :shock:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:10 am
Buttered ToastJoined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:35 amPosts: 72Location: The Netherlands
Yeah true, that's annoying but there's nothing you can do about it unfortunatly.